Dec 03, 2016
For Immediate Release · Saturday, December 3, 2016 · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 62, Marymount 72
- Records: St. Mary's (4-3, 0-2 CAC), Marymount (3-3, 2-0 CAC)
- Location: Arlington, Va. · Verizon Sports Arena
- The Short Story: Junior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) poured in a game-best 20 points as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team lost their second straight Capital Athletic Conference game Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks dropped a 72-62 decision at Marymount (Va.) University, marking the first time since the 2006-07 season that St. Mary's has opened up conference play with two losses.
How It Happened
- Following a 28-28 halftime draw, Marymount outscored the Seahawks, 44-34, in the second half to claim its second straight win and remain undefeated in conference play.
- First-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) gave St. Mary's its first lead of the contest at the 19:24 minute mark of the second half as Ayoub connected on a three-pointer to start off the final 20 minutes.
- Marymount responded with an 8-2 run to reclaim the lead but junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) used an old-fashioned three-point play plus two free throws to put the Seahawks back on top, 38-36, at 15:58.
- Neither team scored for the next minute until junior forward Alex Danko (Cinnaminson, N.J./Paul VI) tied up the game and sparked a 15-5 to help the Saints stake an eight-point advantage with 7:16 remaining.
- Bynum put a stop to the Marymount run with five straight points off to close the gap to three but the Seahawks would get no closer as the Saints closed out the game going 15-of-20 at the free throw line over the final 5:36.
- Bynum had 11 at intermission on 4-of-6 shooting plus three rebounds to lead St. Mary's while the Seahawks shot 45.8-percent (11-of-24) with three triples.
- St. Mary's experience a similar start to the game like the women as the Saints jumped out to an 8-0 lead and boasted a 15-3 lead at 12:49 as only Ayoub's three-pointer landed the Seahawks on the scoreboard.
- The Seahawks countered with a 25-13 run to close out the half and head into halftime tied at 282-28. Bynum scored four straight points to start the run while Sanders' tip-in as time expired knotted up the game.
Inside the Box Score
- This is Bynum's third 20-point game of the season as he shot 7-of-11 from the field and 4-of-5 from the charity stripe. In addition, Bynum had team-bests of six rebounds and three assists.
- Junior captain Delaszo Smith (Baltimore, Md./Annapolis) tallied 12 points and a team-best three steals.
- Sanders finished the day with 11 while also grabbing six boards and dishing out two assists.
- St. Mary's will look to snap its two-game skid on Wednesday, December 7 when the Seahawks host the University of Mary Washington (4-2, 1-1 CAC) at 8:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb