Nov 30, 2016
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 59, No. 19 Salisbury 64
- Records: St. Mary's (4-2, 0-1 CAC), No. 19 Salisbury (5-0, 1-0 CAC)
- Location: Salisbury, Md. · Maggs PAC
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team had three players score in double digits but the effort fell short as St. Mary's dropped its Capital Athletic Conference opener at No. 19 Salisbury University. The Seahawks suffered a 64-59 setback Wednesday night, snapping a three-game win streak and keeping Salisbury undefeated on the season.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's erased a 14-point halftime deficit with 24-4 run sparked by junior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point), who scored the second half's first four points and finished with eight in the run.
- Junior forward Barry Bratten (Delmar, Md./Delmar) put a stop to the Seahawks' run and ignited a 21-4 response for Salisbury, reestablishing a double-digit lead with 3:11 remaining in regulation.
- The Seahawks made a small push over the next 42 seconds to cut the deficit from 11 to four as Bynum capped the run with a triple. Salisbury regained a 10-point advantage but St. Mary's scored the game's final five points for the final score.
- It was a slow start for the Seahawks in the first half who only scored a season-low 14 first-half points on 8-of-24 shooting (0-of-4 3FGs) and struggled at the free throw line with a 3-of-14 showing.
- Bynum was St. Mary's leading scorer at the half with four points.
Inside the Box Score
- Bynum finished the night with team-bests of 15 points, six rebounds, six steals, and four assists while first-year guard Tre Mouton (Waldorf, Md./North Point) contributed a dozen points and three caroms.
- Junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) also notched double-digit points with 11 on 5-of-6 shooting from the field while pulling down four boards.
- St. Mary's continues conference action this Saturday, December 3 as the Seahawks travel to Arlington, Virginia to take on Marymount (Va.) University (2-3, 1-0 CAC) at 3:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb