For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moranovember 20, 2016 · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. –
- Score: St. Mary's 73, Spalding 67 (OT)
- Records: St. Mary's (2-1), Spalding (0-2)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: Junior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) poured in a season-best 24 points in leading the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team to an overtime win Sunday afternoon. The Seahawks picked up a 73-67 victory over Spalding University in the consolation game of the Dan Greene Memorial Invitational.
How It Happened
- Bynum dropped 10 of his 24 points in the extra frame as St. Mary's outscored the Golden Eagles, 14-8, to secure its second win of the season and third place at the Dan Greene Memorial Invitational. He went 3-of-3 from the floor and 4-of-6 from the free throw line.
- Bynum scored the opening basket of the game before junior forward James Abrams (Bessemer, Ala./Bessemer) gave Spalding a four-point lead at the 10:39-minute mark, forcing a Seahawk timeout. Following the timeout, St. Mary's used a 25-10 run to establish a 33-24 halftime lead as Bynum capped the run with a three-pointer.
- Juniors Delaszo Smith (Baltimore, Md./Annapolis) and Alie Kondeh (Laurel, Md./Ideal Academy PCS) paced the Seahawks at halftime with nine points each. As a team, St. Mary's shot 33.3-percent from downtown to the Golden Eagles' 0-of-5 effort.
- Spalding would take over in the second half and outscore the hosts 35-26 in the second half. The Golden Eagles erased an 11-point deficit with a 13-2 run to start the half and built a 49-41 lead at the 10:06-minute mark on a layup by sophomore guard Dominique Ellis (Louisville, Ky./North Bullitt).
- St. Mary's worked its way back into the lead with a 16-8 run as Smith scored the last four points of the run. Two free throws by senior guard James Turner (Louisville, Ky./Western) tied up the game and then an Ellis block and defensive rebound allowed SU to take the lead with 45 seconds left in regulation. Junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) forced overtime with a bucket 22 seconds later. Turner put up two layups but both missed as time expired.
Inside the Box Score
- Bynum shot 9-of-12 from the field with two triples while adding two rebounds.
- Smith would finish with 17 points, 4 boards, two assists, and two steals while Sanders grabbed a team-best six caroms plus four points.
- St. Mary's travels to Washington, D.C. to face Gallaudet University (1-1) in non-conference action on Tuesday, November 22 at 6:00 p.m. before the Thanksgiving break.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb