For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Frostburg, Md. – First-year midfielder Gabrielle Corder (Sudlersville, Md./Queen Anne's County) tallied a goal and two assists in leading the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team to their first Capital Athletic Conference win of the season. St. Mary's (7-5, 1-1 CAC) picked up a 3-1 road victory over Frostburg State University (2-11, 0-2 CAC) on Sunday afternoon.
St. Mary's 3, Frostburg State 1
How It Happened
- It was an evenly matched contest as St. Mary's held a 9-8 edge in shots and the Bobcats posted a 9-7 margin in penalty corners.
- The Seahawks struck first at 17:57 as senior forward Courtney Mellon (Mt. Airy, Md./Urbana) took a feed from Corder for her fourth tally of the season.
- Frostburg pulled even just two minutes later as Molly Pickard converted a pass from Taylor Hackett on a penalty corner to send both sides into halftime in a 1-1 draw.
- First-year Emma Chandler's (Salisbury, Md./Bennett) first goal of her career gave St. Mary's a one-goal lead at 48:17 as Corder assisted on the play.
- Corder then scored her fourth of the year at 60:08 to double the Seahawks' lead to 3-1 as sophomore Meghan Ronan (Odenton, Md./Arundel) earned the assist on the goal.
- Junior goalkeeper Kelbey Egerland (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) made all three of her saves in the second half to keep the Bobcats off the scoreboard in the second half.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Corder (1 goal, 2 assists); Mellon (1 goal); Chandler (1 goal); Ronan (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Egerland (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
For Frostburg State
- Scorers: Pickard (1 goal); Hackett (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Sierra Smizer (5 saves, 3 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Defensive Save: Emy Nelson (1)
- St. Mary's scored two of its three goals today off penalty corners.
- The Seahawks improve to 12-10 in the series with Frostburg, which began in 1995, with their 12th consecutive win over the Bobcats.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 17 at No. 10 Christopher Newport (8-3, 1-1 CAC) – Newport News, Va. (CAC game) – 6:00 p.m.
- CNU holds a 12-2 record in the series, which began in 2001, as the Captains have won eight straight. St. Mary's registered back-to-back wins in 2005 and 2006.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks