For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Midfielders Mollie Belson (Columbia, Md./Atholton) and Meg Moore (Gambrills, Md./Arundel) guided the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team to a 4-2 non-conference win over Randolph-Macon College Monday afternoon. Today's game was a make-up from September 6 when the contest was rained out.
St. Mary's 4, Randolph-Macon 2
How It Happened
- St. Mary's scored two goals in less than six minutes to stake a 2-0 lead at 19:12.
- After a broken corner, Belson dished a pass to the stroke spot where senior defender Sophie Michel (Westminster, Md./Westminster) corralled the ball, dribbled to her right and then fired a shot into the lower left corner for her fourth goal of the season at 13:43.
- Sophomore midfielder Alyssa Demski (Towson, Md./Loch Raven) deflected Moore's cross from the right side for her first career goal at 19:12.
- The Seahawks carried the 2-0 advantage into intermission, outshooting Randolph-Macon, 6-2, while penalty corners were even at two apiece.
- R-MC avoided the shutout at 47:45 when Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres had a turnaround shot into the top right corner off a pass from Victoria Cappadora.
- Moore picked up her second assist of the day at 51:26 when junior forward Sydney Cline (Frederick, Md./Linganore) deflected Moore's shot from the right side of the circle.
- The Yellow Jackets pulled within one once again less than three minutes later when Sara Sprinkel collected a loose ball and put it in just inside the far post.
- After helping out on the game's first goal, Belson knocked in one of her own with a rocket from the top of the circle at 62:57.
For the Seahawks (8-9)
- Scorers: Belson (1 goal, 1 assist); Michel (1 goal); Demski (1 goal); Cline (1 goal); Moore (2 assists)
- Goalkeeper: Alyssa Thompson (4 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- St. Mary's finished the afternoon with 14 shots (12 on goal) and six corners, including four in the second half.
For Randolph-Macon (6-11)
- Scorers: Ambrogi-Torres (1 goal); Sprinkel (1 goal); Cappadora (1 assist)
- Goalkeepers: Kelsey Stanley (7 saves, 3 goal allowed, 54:02); Katie Thompson (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 15:58)
- The Yellow Jackets mustered up seven shots (six on goal) and three corners.
- St. Mary's has now two straight against R-MC as the Seahawks move to 11-4 all-time.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 25 at No. 8 Salisbury University (10-3, 4-1 CAC) – Salisbury, Md. – CAC match – 6:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's is looking for its first-ever win against Salisbury as SU has won all 27 meetings.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks