For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – Two goals in each half propelled No. 5 Christopher Newport University to a 4-1 win over the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team Thursday afternoon. The loss drops St. Mary's to 2-3 in Capital Athletic Conference action while CNU remains pristine in league play with a 5-0 mark.
St. Mary's 1, No. 5 Christopher Newport 4
How It Happened
- St. Mary's was held without a single shot or a penalty corner in the first half as the Captains posted a 15-0 shot advantage and a 7-0 margin in corners.
- Christopher Newport staked a 1-0 lead in the fourth minute as Jackie Kotoriy flicked in a pass from Courtnie Greene.
- Greene had a hand in CNU's second goal of the day as she sent a pass to the stroke spot and Angelica Florendo finished for her first goal of the season.
- After the break, senior captain Alyssa Thompson's (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) strong play in goal kept the Captains of the scoreboard until 62:16 when Ariana Samuel notched her first tally of the season for a 3-0 CNU lead. Thompson would finish with a career-best 17 saves.
- Junior forward Jessica Zhang (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) helped the Seahawks avoid the shutout with her first career goal less than a minute later.
- Rachael Allshouse picked up her team-leading 13th goal of the season with less than three minutes left in regulation to lock up the Captains' 10th consecutive win.
For the Seahawks (7-9, 2-3 CAC)
- Scorer: Zhang (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Thompson (17 saves, 4 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Defensive Save: Sophie Michel (1)
- St. Mary's had four shots on goal and one penalty corner.
For No. 5 Christopher Newport (14-1, 4-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Kotoriy (1 goal); Florendo (1 goal); Samuel (1 goal); Allshouse (1 goal); Greene (2 assists); Alexa Weaver (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Stephanie McKinney (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- The Captains put up 33 shots (22 on goal) and earned 15 corners.
- CNU improves to 12-2 all-time against the Seahawks, including eight straight wins.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 23 vs. Randolph-Macon College (6-9) – Seahawk Stadium – 3:30 p.m.
- St. Mary's holds a 10-4 record against R-MC, including last year's 9-0 shutout of the Yellow Jackets on their home turf.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks