For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
York, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team dropped their first Capital Athletic Conference contest Saturday afternoon, 5-0, at the hands of York College of Pennsylvania.
St. Mary's 0, York 5
How It Happened
- Seven first-half saves by senior captain Alyssa Thompson (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) helped keep York in check as the Spartans only tallied one goal on 20 shots in the first 35 minutes.
- Thompson added five more stops in the second half but the YCP offense was efficient and scored four goals on 11 shots.
- Thompson matched her career-best performance with 12 saves on the day.
- After being held without a single shot in the first half, St. Mary's generated five shots but the Spartan defense stopped all four shots on cage.
For the Seahawks (6-7, 1-1 CAC)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Thompson (12 saves, 5 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Senior defender Nicole Lertora (Olney, Md./Blake) collected her fourth defensive save of the season, which is second on the team.
- St. Mary's picked up five shots and two penalty corners in the second half.
For York (9-2, 2-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Autumn Mallory (3 goals); Beth Patrick (1 goal); Mathilde Govers (1 goal); Paige Taylor (1 assist); Greta Plappert (1 assist); Lindsay Nye (1 assist); Ali Posey (1 assist)
- Goalkeepers: Eve Hauptle (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 47:53); Sam Keating (3 saves, 0 goals allowed, 22:07)
- Jennifer Morrissette contributed a defensive save as the Spartans, who missed the Top 20 this week by eight votes, picked up their third shutout of the season.
- YCP registered 31 shots (18 on goal) and 18 corners in its fourth straight win.
- York has won six straight over the Seahawks and improves to 22-10 all-time.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 10 vs. No. 19 University of Mary Washington (7-5, 0-1 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – Capital Athletic Conference game – Cancer Awareness Game - 4:00 p.m.
- Mary Washington owns a 23-6 all-time record against the Seahawks and has won the last eight contests.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks