For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Frostburg, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team notched a 3-1 victory Saturday afternoon over the host Frostburg State University Bobcats as three different Seahawks found the back of the cage. The victory gave St. Mary's a 1-0 record in Capital Athletic Conference play which opened up this weekend.
St. Mary's 3, Frostburg State 1
How It Happened
- The Seahawks owned a 1-0 halftime lead behind an unassisted goal by junior defender Brooke Steinhoff (Urbana, Md./Urbana), her third career tally, at 33:58.
- St. Mary's staked a 2-0 lead four minutes into the second half as senior defender Sophie Michel (Westminster, Md./Westminster) finished off a pass from junior midfielder Mollie Belson (Columbia, Md./Atholton).
- Frostburg cut the lead in half almost three minutes later when Holly Van Wie put back a rebound for her fifth goal of the season.
- Belson dribbled around Nicole Leighty for the Seahawks' third and final goal of the afternoon.
For the Seahawks (6-5, 1-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Belson (1 goal, 1 assist); Michel (1 goal); Steinhoff (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Alyssa Thompson (Career-best 12 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- Senior defender Nicole Lertora (Olney, Md./Blake) collected her third defensive save of the season.
- St. Mary's fired off 13 shots (11 on goal) and eight penalty corners, including five in the first half.
For Frostburg State (3-7, 0-1 CAC)
- Scorer: Van Wie (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Leighty (8 saves, 3 goals allowed, 70:00)
- The Bobcats tallied 15 shots, including 10 in the second half, and 13 corners, including nine in the final 35 minutes.
- St. Mary's has now won 11 straight over the Marlins and takes a slight 11-10 edge in the series history.
- Today's victory gives the Seahawks a three-game win streak for the first time since the 2014 campaign when St. Mary's won seven in a row.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 1 at Washington & Jefferson College (4-3) – Washington, Pa. – 12:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks