For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team went to a shootout for the second time this season on Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's, unfortunately, came up short in a 2-1 loss to Roanoke College after the Maroons won the shootout by a 2-0 margin.
RC went first in the shootout and its first and third shooters, Julie Van Marken and Kaylin Stenson, each scored to lead the Maroons to their fifth straight victory.
St. Mary's 1, Roanoke 2 (SO)
How It Happened
- The Seahawks struck late in the first half when first-year defender Meghan Ronan (Odenton, Md./Arundel) sent in a long pass from 25 yards out into the circle and junior captain Kara Feidelseit (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) got her stick on it for the deflection at 31:27.
- With less than 20 minutes remaining in regulation, Roanoke got on the scoreboard when Lauren Heffron dribbled into the circle and then fired a shot on the run from the right side into the far corner.
For the Seahawks (2-4)
- Scorer: Feidelseit (1 goal); Ronan (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Alyssa Thompson (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 100:00)
- Senior defender Sophie Michel (Westminster, Md./Westminster) notched her second defensive save of the season.
- St. Mary's finished the game with 14 shots (six on goal) and 12 penalty corners.
For Roanoke (5-0)
- Scorer: Heffron (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Emma Clark (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 100:00)
- The Maroons picked up 15 shots (seven on goal) and 10 corners.
- Today's result evened the series record between the Seahawks and Roanoke at 3-3.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 17 vs. Susquehanna (3-2) – Towson, Md. – Notre Dame Preparatory School – 1:00 p.m.
- Susquehanna has won both meetings with St. Mary's, outscoring the Seahawks, 5-2.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks