For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Chambersburg, Pa. – Junior forwards Courtney Mellon (Mount Airy, Md./Urbana) and Sydney Cline (Frederick, Md./Urbana) both notched a goal for the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team Wednesday evening as the Seahawks picked up a 2-0 non-conference win over Wilson College.
St. Mary's (Md.) 2, Wilson 0
How It Happened
- Mellon struck first for St. Mary's at 27:45 as she grabbed a pass from senior captain Megan Moore (Gambrills, Md./Arundel) for the 1-0 lead.
- The Seahawk lead stretched to 2-0 nearly six minutes later when Cline corralled a loose ball and beat the goalkeeper with a shot to the left.
- St. Mary's defense stymied the Phoenix offense, holding the hosts to just four shots.
For the Seahawks (2-3)
- Scorers: Mellon (1 goal); Cline (1 goal); Moore (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Alyssa Thompson (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 70:00)
- The Seahawks ended the game with 11 shots (seven on goal) and 13 penalty corners while recording their first shutout of the season.
For Wilson (3-2)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeepers: Kayla Butts (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 35:00); Krista Nayadley (3 saves, 0 goals allowed, 35:00)
- Jenna Carty recorded one defensive save.
- The Phoenix put up four shots (two on goal) and nine corners as Wilson saw its two-game win streak snapped.
- The Seahawks improve to 2-3 all-time against Wilson.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 16 vs. Roanoke (4-0) – Seahawk Stadium – 12:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's holds a 3-2 series record against Roanoke, including winning three straight.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks