For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – First-year midfielder Emily Pulkowski (Westminster, Md./Westminster) picked up her first collegiate goal Saturday afternoon but the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team dropped a 4-1 decision to Bridgewater (Va.) College in their home-opener.
St. Mary's (Md.) 1, Stevenson 4
How It Happened
- Bridgewater owned a 2-0 advantage at 5:36 as Emily Matisons and Courtney Cooke found the back of the cage within two minutes of each other.
- Laura Gretz stretched the Eagle lead to 3-0 at 18:51 with her first tally of the season off of a penalty corner as Matisons and Jacqueline DiFulvio assisted on the play.
- Pulkowski cut the deficit to 3-1 at 32:14 as she fired a shot into the near post after receiving a diagonal pass from first-year defender Meghan Ronan (Odenton, Md./Arundel).
- The Eagles regained their three-goal cushion almost two minutes later when Cooke struck for her second of the day while DiFulvio picked up her third assist of the day.
- St. Mary's was able to keep Bridgewater scoreless in the second half as sophomore goalkeeper Kelbey Egerland (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) recorded three stops and senior defender Nicole Lertora (Olney, Md./Blake) added a defensive save.
For the Seahawks (1-2)
- Scorers: Pulkowski (1 goal); Ronan (1 assist)
- Goalkeepers: Alyssa Thompson (0 saves, 3 goals allowed, 23:56); Egerland (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 46:04)
- Lertora collected a defensive save.
- St. Mary's take four shots (two on goal) and earned four penalty corners.
For Bridgewater (1-3)
- Scorers: Cooke (2 goals); DiFulvio (3 assists); Matisons (1 goal, 1 assist); Gretz (1 goal); Georgia Howard (1 assist)
- Goalkeepers: Ali Bishop (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 35:00); Emily Witzke (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 35:00)
- The Eagles put up nine shots (eight on goal) and grabbed nine corners.
- The loss drops St. Mary's to 4-6 all-time against the Eagles and Bridgewater has now won two straight over the Seahawks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 10 vs. No. 14 Rochester (2-0) – Johns Hopkins University – 11:00 a.m.
- In their only meeting, Rochester needed overtime to get past St. Mary's 2-1 last season.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks