For Immediate Release · Sunday, September 3, 2017 · email@example.com
Owings Mills, Md. – Senior captain Alyssa Thompson (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) and sophomore Kelbey Egerland (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) combined for 11 stops as the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team dropped their first contest of the season, falling 3-0 to Stevenson University Sunday afternoon.
St. Mary's (Md.) 0, Stevenson 3
How It Happened
- Noel Martin notched Stevenson's first two goals at 19:33 and 32:44, giving the Mustangs a 2-0 lead at halftime.
- The advantage was stretched to 3-0 just over six minutes into the second half behind a backhand rip by Sara McVey.
For the Seahawks (1-1)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Thompson (6 saves, 3 goals allowed, 45:51); Egerland (5 saves, 0 goals allowed, 24:09)
- St. Mary's was held to four first-half shots (three on goal) and two penalty corners.
For Stevenson (2-0)
- Scorers: Martin (2 goals); McVey (1 goal); Brooke Morris (1 assist); Tanner Ridgely (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Eure (2 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- Marissa Hoffman tallied a defensive save for the Mustangs.
- Stevenson finished the contest with 16 shots (14 on goal) and eight corners.
- The loss drops the Seahawks to 16-6-1 all-time against Stevenson while the Mustangs have now won two straight over St. Mary's.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 6 vs. Randolph-Macon (0-0) – Seahawk Stadium – Home-opener – 4:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's holds a 10-4 record against R-MC, including last year's 9-0 shutout of the Yellow Jackets on their home turf.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH, #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh, #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks