For Immediate Release · Friday, September 1, 2017 · email@example.com
Towson, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team needed a shootout to post a 2-1 win over host Goucher College Friday night, picking up their 13th consecutive victory over the Gophers.
Following 70 minutes of regulation and 30 minutes of extra time, the contest was decided by a best-of-five shootout series. St. Mary's won the shootout 1-0 as junior midfielder Courtney Mellon (Mount Airy, Md./Urbana), the second shooter in the series, was able to put one past Megan Wells. Senior captain Alyssa Thompson (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) played amazing in goal for the Seahawks during the shootout, coming out and giving the Gophers issues.
St. Mary's (Md.) 2, Goucher 1
How It Happened
- Goucher took an early 1-0 lead when Maya Belin found the back of the cage at 11:35.
- Mellon answered for the Seahawks in the second half when she finished a feed from sophomore midfielder Alyssa Demski (Towson, Md./Loch Raven) at 41:26.
For the Seahawks (1-0)
- Scorers: Mellon (1 goal); Demski (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Thompson (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 100:00)
- St. Mary's tallied 28 shots (19 on goal), including taking a 10-3 advantage in the first period, and collected 12 penalty corners with half of them coming in the second period.
For Goucher (0-1)
- Scorers: Belin (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Wells (17 saves, 1 goal allowed, 100:00)
- Shannara Bauer picked up a defensive save for the Gophers.
- Goucher had 12 shots (four on goal) and seven corners.
- This was the first time since 2011 that Goucher and St. Mary's have faced each other.
- St. Mary's improves its mark to 13-8 all-time against the Gophers with today's win.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 3 at Stevenson (1-0) – Owings Mills, Md. – 11:00 a.m.
- St. Mary's owns a 16-5-1 mark against the Mustangs. The last time these two teams met (2014), Stevenson snapped a 13-game skid with a 4-1 victory on its home turf.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH, #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh, #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks