For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Leonardtown, Md. – Senior forward Carly Todd (Crisfield, Md./Crisfield) gave the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team their first win streak of the season. Todd's second-half goal propelled the Seahawks to a 1-0 Capital Athletic Conference opening win over Frostburg State University on a soggy Saturday afternoon.
St. Mary's (Md.) 1, Frostburg State 0
How It Happened
- In the first half, St. Mary's outshot the Bobcats, 6-3, and posted a 5-2 margin in penalty corners.
- Following a scoreless first half, St. Mary's was awarded another penalty corner. Sophomore midfielder Mollie Belson (Columbia, Md./Atholton) inserted the ball up to senior captain Brady Wolf (Reisterstown, Md./McDonogh) who then pass it to her right. Todd corralled the pass, took a couple of dribbles, and ripped a shot into the lower left corner.
For the Seahawks (3-7, 1-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Todd (1 goal); Belson (1 assist); Wolf (1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: Alyssa Thompson (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 70:00).
- Defensive Save: Nicole Lertora (1).
- St. Mary's finished the game with 12 shots (four on goal) and eight penalty corners.
For Frostburg State (5-5, 0-1 CAC)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Jacqueline Gover (2 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00).
- Frostburg State recorded six shots (three on goal) and seven corners as the Bobcats dropped its third straight game.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 10/8 at No. 17 University of Mary Washington (6-3) - 12:00 p.m. (CAC contest)
- Mary Washington owns a 22-6 record over the Seahawks and has won the last seven meetings.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh