For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland baseball team dropped a non-conference game to the 11th-ranked Randolph-Macon College on Tuesday afternoon at the Hawk's Nest.
St. Mary's 1, No. 11 Randolph-Macon 13
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon would take an early 4-0 with two runs in the first and two more in the third.
- In the fourth inning, the Yellow Jackets would stretch their lead to 9-0 with a five-run scoring rally.
- St. Mary's first-year leftfielder Isaiah Braxton (Baltimore, Md./Gilman) would answer by hitting a double to left field for the first and only hit of the game.
- Braxton would then capitalize on an error by the Yellow Jackets as junior Matt Bieler (Bowie, Md./Bowie) reached first and Braxton found home for the lone Seahawk run.
- Junior second baseman Bennett Garner (Bowie, Md./Bowie) would contribute a stolen base and two double plays.
- The Yellow Jackets' sophomore RHP Colin Selby (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch) would improve his record to 2-0 as Selby threw 5.0 innings with six strikeouts and five walks, giving up one run on one hit.
- Randolph-Macon concluded the game with 13 runs on 17 hits and one error.
- Sophomore RHP Mark Smith (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) would receive the loss for the Seahawks, pitching 4.0 innings with one strikeout and four walks. Smith faced 29 batters and allowed nine runs on 10 hits.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- The Seahawks will be back in action on Wednesday, March 8 as they open Capital Athletic Conference action on the road against the University of Mary Washington at 3:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_Baseball, #GoHawks, #ProtectTheNest, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball