For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland baseball team fell to The Catholic University of America, 13-1, in non-conference action Tuesday afternoon.
St. Mary's 1, Catholic 13
How It Happened
- The Cardinals would take an early lead 3-0 lead to start off the game before doubling their lead to 6-0 with three more runs in the third inning.
- Senior shortstop Zach Rowe (Davidsonville, Md./Calvert Hall) would answer for St. Mary's in the bottom of the third as Rowe connected on a two-out single to centerfield, stole second, and then came home on a hit by first-year Jay Hammett (Colton' Point, Md./Chopticon).
- Hammett, who tripled in the first inning, would contribute two hits to pace the Seahawks offensively.
- Catholic would finish with three-run scoring rallies in the first, third, and seventh innings as the Cardinals picked up the season-opening win.
- Sophomore outfielder Bailey Lewis (Matthews, N.C./Charlotte Christian) would have a strong showing for CUA with four hits, including a double, and one run scored while junior designated hitter Jake Crist (Greencastle, Pa./Greencastle Antrim) would add three RBI, two doubles, and one run scored.
- Junior RHP Dan McCann (Laurel, Md./Atholton) takes the loss, pitching 3.0 innings with two strikeouts. Senior LHP Ben Goldsmith (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) would also make an appearance, throwing two strikeouts in 2.0 innings while first-year Sam Roeder (Pasadena, Md./Severn) would also tally two strikeouts in one inning of work.
- The Cardinals' sophomore Jon Mierzwa (Laurel, Md./Reservoir) would take the game for his first win of the 2017 season, give up one run on five hits in 4.0 innings pitched with three strikeouts.
Up Next for the Seahawks
The Seahawks will be back in action this Saturday, February 25, hosting McDaniel College in a non-conference doubleheader at 12:00 p.m. in the Hawk's Nest.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut, #ProtectTheNest
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball