For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland baseball team posted a three-game sweep of Mount Saint Mary (N.Y.) College with a 5-4 triumph in the final game of the three-game series Sunday afternoon in non-conference action.
St. Mary's 5, Mt. St. Mary 4
How It Happened
- Junior catcher Sean Goodie (Rising Sun, Md./Rising Sun) started strong and paced the Seahawks with three hits, including his third double of the season, and two RBI.
- First-year first baseman Jay Hammett (Coltons Point, Md./Chopticon) would also shine with two runs scored, two hits, and two RBI.
- Mount Saint Mary would start the game with an early lead, scoring two runs in the first inning on the strength of an RBI single to centerfield by junior first baseman Chris Introcaso (Newburgh, N.Y.) and a Seahawk error.
- The Seahawks would respond with a run in the third to cut the lead in half as junior shortstop Dan McCann (Laurel, Md./Atholton) found the plate after Hammett slugged a single to left field.
- St. Mary's knotted the game at 1-1 in the fourth when sophomore centerfielder Lucas Kraft (Clarksburg, Md./Clarksburg) doubled to left field to drive in McCann, who reached on a fielder's choice and then stole second.
- Goodie would connect with the ball in the fifth inning, sending it to leftfield to bring in Hammett for the Seahawks' first lead of the game, 3-2.
- The game was tied once again in the sixth when Introcaso came home on a wild pitch after drawing a walk and then advancing to third on a single.
- Hammett put St. Mary's ahead, 4-3, in the seventh when he scored off a fielder's choice to Goodie after reaching base on an error.
- The Knights tied up the score for the last time in the eighth inning on a bases loaded, two-out walk. Kraft would make a great defensive play at centerfield to end the inning and avoid Mount Saint Mary taking the lead.
- Kraft would then respond offensively in the bottom of the eighth, taking advantage of Hammett's single to left field and scoring the game-winning run for the Seahawks.
- A three-up, three-down ninth inning for the Knights sealed the win for St. Mary's.
- Senior RHP Graham Haliskoe (Middletown, N.J./Middletown North) would nab his first win of the season, pitching 1.1 innings of scoreless relief. Sophomore RHP Mark Smith (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) received a no-decision as he gave up two runs on five hits in 5.0 innings with a season-best five strikeouts.
Up Next for the Seahawks
Seahawks will be back in action on Tuesday, February 21 against Catholic at 3:00pm in non-conference action to finish the three game series.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut, #ProtectTheNest
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball