SEAHAWK ALLIANCE FACT SHEET
- To form a booster organization for St. Mary’s College of
Maryland’s varsity athletic programs to provide continuous
support in the forms of:
- financial and human capital
- a powerful fan base
- professional networking opportunities for current student-athletes and their families, alumni and their families, and other friends of St. Mary’s College of Maryland varsity athletics
- The booster organization will not require or offer formal membership, and financial support will not be a prerequisite for involvement.
- Any individual, group, or organization who supports the advancement of St. Mary’s College varsity athletics will be referred to as a member of the booster organization.
- The booster organization shall be known as the “Seahawk Alliance.”
- A leadership council will be established to oversee the Seahawk Alliance.
- Each varsity sport shall be represented by a committee, and one member of each sport committee will be appointed as the chair.
- Sport committee chairs shall serve on the leadership council. Sport committee chairs should be someone other than a current member of the athletic staff.
- Varsity coaches shall serve on their sport committees.
- The roles represented in the leadership council were selected based on the interdependencies of athletic fundraising, development, alumni relations, and community relations.
- The roles represented at the sport committee level are given as guidelines and can be modified with the approval of the leadership council.
Role of Sport Committees and Sport Committee Chairs:
- The sport committee represents the interests of a single varsity team.
- Sport committee membership should be diverse and broad-based to ensure the widest network possible. Suggested member classes include: parents of current student-athletes, team alumni, current student-athletes, head coaches, and interested donors.
- The sport committee is responsible for operating at the team level to accomplish the goals set by the leadership council, and for providing team-specific information and ideas to the leadership council via the sport committee chair.
- Sport committee chairs serve as the voice of a single varsity team, and are responsible for guiding the work of the sport committee and ensuring effective two-way communication between the leadership council and their sport committee.
- The leadership council shall meet at regular intervals, at least quarterly. Conference calls and/or e-mail updates should be utilized for communication as often as necessary between meetings.
- Sport committees shall meet prior to each regularly scheduled leadership council meeting.
- The Seahawk Alliance will take charge of all events and initiatives that relate to promoting participation in the Seahawk Alliance, e.g., Hawktoberfest, Hall of Fame, Spring Break-a-Sweat, fundraising initiatives, etc.