St. Mary's City, Md. – Last night, the St. Mary's College of Maryland Student-Athlete Advisory Committee presented the 2015-16 Athletics Awards Reception. The annual awards show was held in the Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena and honored this year's top student-athletes as well as recognizing those student-athletes that have made a valuable contribution to the department.
The SAAC Executive Board for 2016-17 was also announced and the night culminated with the traditional presentation of the Athletic Highlights and Senior Waves video, which was edited, filmed, and produced by Amanda Bernard, Martín Herdoíza, Jess Konecke, Joseph Lignelli, and Gillian Sawyer.
SMCM Athletes of the Month: Given monthly to the student-athlete who, in the opinion of the Department of Athletics & Recreation staff, achieved the most in athletics in a particular month.
- September – Gillian Sawyer (women's soccer)
- October – Mandy Goodspeed (volleyball)
- November – Zoe McIlmail (women's swimming)
- December – Kobe Chaney (women's basketball)
- January – Delaszo Smith (men's basketball)
- February – Zoe McIlmail (women's basketball)
- March – Conor Jordan (men's lacrosse)
- April – Tori Poffenberger (women's lacrosse)
SAAC President's Award: SAAC President Greg Mainolfi (Lutherville, Md./Towson) gave this year's award to Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake), a sophomore member of the St. Mary's women's tennis team, for her unconditional commitment to SAAC's mission, values, and initiatives.
SAAC Award: SAAC Treasurer Andrew Braun (Bowie, Md./DeMatha Catholic) presented sophomore men's cross country runner Sam Coomes (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) with this year's honor for his willingness to help out in any way he can at all SAAC events.
2016-17 SAAC Executive Board: President – Andrew Braun, Jr., Men's Swimming; Vice President – Ellen Airozo, Jr., Women's Soccer (Silver Spring, Md./Albert Einstein); Vice President for Marketing – Zach Rowe, Jr., Baseball (Davidsonville, Md./Calvert Hall); Secretary – Alli Szymanski, Jr., Field Hockey (Easton, Md./Easton); and At-Large Delegate – Sam Coomes.
Solomon's Cup: A year-long event designed as a friendly competition between sports teams to increase varsity athlete attendance and participation in various areas in the St. Mary's College of Maryland community.
- Women's Basketball won this year's Solomon's Cup for the first-time ever in the four-year history of the event.
SMCM Scholar-Athlete of the Year Award: Established in 1975 to recognize the senior female and male varsity athlete with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.50 or better who has earned at least 32 semester-hours and who has played an important role on one or more varsity teams.
- Women's swimmer Cara Machlin (Rockville, Md./Walter Johnson)
- Men's cross country runner Matt Flyr (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake)
SMCM Rookie of the Year Award: Given annually to the female and male athletes who, in the opinion of the Department of Athletics & Recreation, achieved the most in athletics in their first year at St. Mary's.
- Women's soccer goalkeeper Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson)
- Men's soccer midfielder Juwan Kearson (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul's School)
SMCM Athlete of the Year Award: Given annually to the female and male athletes who, in the opinion of the department, achieved the most in athletics during the current academic year.
- Redshirt senior women's soccer forward Gillian Sawyer (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake)
- Junior men's soccer midfielder Nick Tait (Silver Spring, Md./Sandy Spring Friends School)
Athletic Director's Award: Director of Athletics & Recreation Scott Devine bestowed his award on senior women's lacrosse midfielder Shelby Newman (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley). Devine thanked Newman for her everyday energetic, positive, and upbeat personality as well as her unwavering support for all, not just her fellow student-athletes, and the betterment of the campus community.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #HawksFlyTogether