Climbing Wall * hours subject to change
|Monday - Thursday||3:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Friday||3:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Saturday||3:00 pm - 6:00 pm|
|Sunday||1:00 pm - 4:00 pm|
Climbing Wall Policies
- At the start of each academic year, all climbers are required to sign a new and updated waiver before they are permitted to climb any area of the Climbing Wall.
- All members wishing to climb or belay must take the safety and skills test to become approved users of the wall.
- Climbers who wish to belay themselves must be belay tested by a member of the climbing wall staff. If the climber satisfactorily completes the test, he is then considered belay certified and may belay for the remainder of the academic year. Anyone who was previously belay certified is required to re-take the belay test at the start of every Fall semester.
- During climbing hours, instructors will be available to assist climbers with no experience and give belay training and testing.
- All participants of the Climbing Wall must sign in each time before climbing, bouldering, or checking out any equipment. All participants must have proper SMCM identification, ARC membership ID, or show a valid guest pass receipt in order to check out any equipment or climb.
- All climbers must use belay devices, carabineers, and ropes provided by the ARC.
- Climbing shoes or athletic shoes are required at all times.
- Climbers are required to wear shirts at all times.
- Participants may use their own harness only after it has been inspected for safety by an ARC staff member and a personal harness waiver is signed. All harnesses must be fitted properly according to the manufacturer's specifications.
- Loose chalk is not permitted. Climbers are permitted to use a chalk ball.
- Belayers are required to use floor anchors for additional safety when belaying a heavier partner.
- Intentional swinging across the wall is prohibited at all times.
- Climbers, spotters, and belayers are the only people permitted in the immediate climbing area (8 feet from the wall).
- Climbers must tie into their harness using a figure-eight knot (no clipping in).
- Belayers must belay from their harness only.
- Climbers must use correct climbing communication commands.
- There is a bouldering area provided, however, climbers are also permitted to boulder on any other part of the wall below the designated (12 foot) line on the wall.
- Climbers must not climb or boulder below another climber.
- All accidents and equipment damage must be reported immediately to the climbing staff.
- Spotters are required when bouldering.